A peak plan was to VU avoid Saudi Agreement – which was not mentioned a word on the agenda.
But during the “political situation” struck several Executive Committee members stated that the Congress decision on banning arms exports to dictatorships is not compatible with a renegotiated agreement.
In an extraordinary press conference attempted defense minister and VU Commissioner Peter Hultqvist (s) to downplay tensions.
– There are no disagreements as speculated, says Peter Hultqvist.
Right after the Social Democrats’ meeting with the Executive Committee, the Executive Committee, was clearly held Defence Minister Peter Hultqvist an extraordinary press conference.
But the answer how the Social Democrats stand the question whether the agreement with Saudi Arabia to be broken or not came.
“A government issue basically”
– There is an agreement between two states. Then it is therefore a government issue fundamentally. The party’s role in the foundation will then be an advisory body. It is our relationship to the executive committee of the foundation, said Peter Hultqvist and continues:
“There are no disagreements”
Although the party outwardly shown to be divided on the issue, saying Hultqvist to there are no disagreements.
– There are no disagreements as speculated. The situation is that based on the entire amount of the amount of this complex topic contains so we are now doing all the preparation aunt in a thorough manner.
Saudi agreement was not on the agenda of the Executive Committee, the Executive Committee, two-day meeting . In the item “political situation” was lifted yet the issue.
Gives Congress the decision space for any kind of military cooperation agreements?
– I can only say how Congress decision looks and that it is the basis for the behavior of both VU and party executive side, says Peter Hultqvist.
Peter Hultqvist would not say whether the agreement should be renegotiated or terminated.
– We are a preparation stage still. It is a task we take on in a serious way and that means we will return when the process is completed, he said.
How far have you come in conversation with the Green Party?
– We know very well what we should talk to the Green Party and what kind of points that we should take up.
Is it possible to combine a renegotiated contract with the Social Democrats’ congressional decision?
– We are ready to return when the process is complete. This is so that there is things that need to be further discussed before it is ripe to put all the cards on the table, says Peter Hultqvist.
“This Agreement shall be terminated”
According to several Socialist heavyweights go congressional decision not to reconcile with a renegotiated arms contract with Saudi Arabia.
“Sweden needs a sharp regulations that prevent arms exports to dictatorships and countries that rough and extensive human rights violations,” says the Social Democrats of Congress from 2013 .
– I have been clear SSU’s claim that the agreement should be terminated and that the party should respect the Congress decision. VU agree that Sweden should not export arms for battle to Saudi Arabia says Ellinor Eriksson after the meeting of the Executive Committee.
Talla Alkurdi, Chairman S-students, has the same view of the discussion Conclusion:
– What we agreed on is that we should not export arms to fight for Saudi Arabia. Since it is a decision to be taken in the government.
According Talla Alkurdi is not the agreement complies with the Congress decision.
– Congress decision is very clear and the agreement is not compatible with it, she says .
The Executive Committee agreed that Sweden should not export arms for battle to Saudi Arabia, see Peter Weiderud completely obvious.
– It is also a consequence of the Congress decision 2013.
What does it mean for the government’s formulation of the question of Saudi agreement?
– VU has not taken a decision, but had a discussion. It is up to the minister who has to carry the matter to ensure that it will be a good decision. I have great confidence that it will be, says Peter Weiderud.
The unity of the Executive Committee “that Sweden should not export arms for battle to Saudi Arabia” is in line with Stefan Löfvens previous statements.
– In the arms you have both materiel for combat and materiel that does not count as combat. Therefore, we believe that the first step that must be done is to negotiate the agreement, ensure that it is not so detailed, he said during a question and answer session in parliament in January, according to Aftonbladet, in which he argued for renegotiation.
later than 15 May, the government must denounce Saudi Agreement – otherwise, shall be automatically extended for five years.