The defense was forced yesterday to admit that they have gone out with the wrong information about where the image of the suspected submarine was taken.
First, said press officer to SVT that there was a deliberate lie for not “helping foreign power.”
But the operational chief says that everything was just a miss.
– Quite a few people have worked four days on end with this, says Anders Grenstad who held the press conference.
Armed Forces presented the blurred image as a credible evidence that Sweden has had påhälsning of a foreign submarine.
Aftonbladet spoke with “Eric” who took the picture. He is adamant – it was a submarine he saw disappearing into the water.
When the picture was shown at a press conference announced defense maps where the location of the suspect object sighted in was excellent with a red ring. But the location on Jungfrufjärden outside Dalaro was felutmärkt.
For SVT said press officer Philip Simon that it was a deliberate strategy to not “help a foreign power.”
– We should have been more clear about this.
“Would made larger ring”
But, Rear Admiral Anders Grenstad, Deputy Operation Commander who was in the actual press conference, saying he never intended to mislead.
– Just before the press conference, I worked hard to get the picture that was taken at this underwater object. I did not focus on how we had put the rings.
He said that the intention was to provide “enough information, but not give any opponent a few benefits.” With the rings, he wanted to show you approximately where the suspicious object had been sighted – not indicate the exact position.
– I would have been much clearer with the press conference. It was not a conscious lie.
– I would have made a bigger ring that also included the observation took place.
Neither defense red rings on Kanholmsfjärden and Nämdö Bay indicates the exact positions sightings of suspicious objects, says Anders Grenstad.
After the miss, he expects that his statements ahead will be scrutinized more closely.
– But you must not forget, a good many people have worked four days in a row with this, there is mistake with us too.
submarine hunt went on unabated yesterday. The searches focused on the waters off Nynashamn and the defense chose for several hours to cordon off a large area around all military vessels. For several hours the civilian boats not get closer than 10,000 feet – six nautical miles – from the surgical site.
Even the airspace was sealed off and several Gripen aircraft is reported to have overseen the site.
When Aftonbladet at 15 o’clock approached the military ships in the area around the Danziger Gatt we were allowed to get as close as 400 meters before the corvette Visby via radio announced that we could not be closer than 1,000 feet.
Whole moved between five and ten military vessels and at least a military helicopter in the area. At 18 o’clock last night the barricades were lifted entirely. Armed Forces would not give a reason as to why they suddenly wanted to work completely undisturbed.
Stefan Ring, military strategy expert at the Swedish National Defence College, interpreters cordons in two ways.
– Either one needs to be at peace and to avoid interference from the other boats. Or preparing to one engagement, he says.
Göran Frisk, former submarine hunter, thinks it is “very interesting” that the restriction on the water is resolved.
– prohibitions had to avoid the disturbed one engagement. Have you lifted it has been stated that it had no contact, or even determined that the submarine has run away.
How do you interpret it?
– I would think that you’ve lost a spaningsfas. It has been established that you do not have any real-life situation, and are now in larger areas.
Could it have been carried out an armed intervention?
– I think not. Then they had reported it immediately. In the olden days when we made weapons effort was a moment that sent the information to headquarters.
The Armed Forces would not comment on why the restriction was lifted.